What an amazing 30 days! I am beyond proud that I successfully completed this challenge. Week 4 went very well and as it wrapped up I was almost sad for this challenge to come to an end. The beautiful part is that I don’t have to drop the new healthy habits I formed in the past 30 days.
· Added sugar is in almost everything! This is very scary and not right.
· Avoiding added sugar requires a lot of reading, researching and conscious food choices
· You will feel better without all that added sugar
· You will also be tempted to eat “like everyone else”
· Your body does NOT need/require/ or thrive on added sugar
· You will sacrifice many foods, but it will be well worth it because they are crap (sorry for the language but it is true)
· The world does not care about your “special” diet whether it be sugar free, gluten free, vegan, paleo, raw, organic, etc. It is your responsibility to care!
· Only you can heal yourself with the foods you choose to nourish your body with
The Lies (with counter arguments)
· It’s okay to have a little bit of sweets or sugar a day
Ø This is why we have fruit!
· Coconut sugar, agave, real cane sugar is healthy or “good” for you
Ø No, it isn’t. It still acts like any other sugar does in the body and can increase almost every disease and illness there is.
· If I eat a well-rounded diet, I can make up for the desserts I eat
Ø Yes, please eat a very clean and well-rounded diet….BUT, a donut consumed is still a sugar fried refined food in your body and does not serve you at all
· I exercise a lot so the extra calories do not matter
Ø Exercise is one of the most important things you can do for your health. But like previously stated, a donuts is still unhealthy. If you need more calories eat more whole foods. Refined foods and added sugar will not make you a better athlete
· Life is short and we should enjoy it by eating what we want
Ø Yes, life is short and we should be happy and enjoy what we eat. But if you find joy in eating sugary junk food then life will be much shorter!
As you might recall, the other part of the challenge was for me to work out every day for 30 minutes for 30 days. This was surprisingly much more difficult for me than it was to not eat added sugar. I really had to stop lying to myself. I was constantly telling myself I was too tired, too sore, or had no time to do my workout. Amazingly though, as I kept pushing myself to workout it became easier, more fun, and almost like a treat. I started to fall back in love with being in nature as I went for long walks, jogs and hikes. I started to view my body differently…remembering that it isn’t a dumping ground but instead a temple.
The Truth About Exercise:
· It doesn’t take up much of your time (seriously, you can find 30 minutes)
· It will give you more energy
· It will help you clear your mind
· It will help you sleep better
· It will increase your libido
· It will help you reconnect with your body
· It will make you more conscious of what fuel (food) you give your body
· You will tone your body and make you look younger
· It will allow you to push yourself in ways you need
· It will reduce your risk of major diseases
· It will help you achieve the body you want and the self-confidence you deserve
· You must be doing this to be a healthy person
1. Read all food labels
2. Read research on health foods
3. Choose restaurants that can cater to your food needs
4. Stop spending time with loved ones drinking or eating unhealthy food, instead ask them to go on a hike with you or get a tea
5. Stop making excuses and start believing in yourself
6. Be an advocate for your own health and others as well
7. Cook most of your meals at home
8. Buy organic and shop locally and at farmer’s markets
9. Eat food that is fresh, not boxed, canned or packaged
10. Push yourself to run harder, faster, further
11. Explore different exercises
12. Join meet-ups in which other people want to work out or be healthy
13. Forgive yourself for mistakes you have made to your body or mind and move forward confidently
14. Love yourself unconditionally
I leave you with this YouTube exercise video I found that gave me an amazing and challenging work out. Enjoy!
Dr. Lauren Sanchez
P.S. I can walk past dessert and not even think twice about it. This challenged allowed me to ditch sugar and it can help you too! Good luck!